Um, heck yeah. The summer always leaves me hankering for more fresh veggies, and less time using the oven. These “nachos” are absolutely the most perfect appetizer for a summer party. Girls night, anyone? These are vegetarian, but you could definitely take this idea and do whatever you’d like with them. Add beef, chicken, or anything you like on your regular nachos! Also, these are not exactly paleo, but could easily be made that way if that’s how your roll.
Bell Pepper Nachos
adapted from Closet Cooking
2 lb. bag of mini bell peppers
1 cup corn (frozen, fresh, whatever is easy)
1 cup black beans
3-4 roma tomatoes, chopped
1 avocado, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1 squeeze of lime juice
shredded cheese for sprinkling on top
cilantro for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Slice all your bell peppers in half, stemming and seeding them along the way. Lay them out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
3. In a bowl, mix together corn, black beans, tomatoes, avocado, onion, jalapeno, salt, pepper, and lime juice. You can make this in advance and refrigerate if you’d like the flavors to meld together a bit more.
4. Fill each bell pepper half with your black bean mixture. Sprinkle with cheese, and place in oven for 5-6 minutes, until the cheese is melted and ingredients are heated through.
5. Garnish with cilantro, and enjoy! Other suggestions: Serve with sour cream, salsa, extra guac, or whatever suits your fancy.
Delicious, healthy, fresh, and summery!! And the best part? GUILT FREE!